Jobs / Controller
The mission of Land-Grant is to bring our Ohio community together by building customer connections through our passion toward the craft, quality, and creativity of our beers and experiences. We build those connections by taking the lead in creating an inclusive and welcoming craft beer culture.
Land-Grant is searching for a Controller who will embody our core values of: Operate with Integrity, Perform with Pride, Cultivate the Community, Foster Creativity & Fun and Pursue with Passion. This person must enjoy working in an exciting, fast-paced environment while being an experienced accountant to oversee this team in the role of Controller.
The ideal candidate will have proven industry experience as an accountant, preferably in a senior role. As a strong communicator and skilled financial analyst, this candidate will make it their mission to streamline our budgeting, payroll, and financial reporting processes. They will produce thorough financial-status reports for senior management to help improve our operational efficiency and aid in our continued growth.
With direction from the Vice President of Operations, the Controller will be an integral part of the Land-Grant Leadership Team. This individual will be required to directly manage the Land-Grant Bookkeeper (1) and any future employees that may support this function.
The Controller will participate in the development and implementation of the organization’s financial plans and risk analysis to include:
(a.) A comprehensive financial updates to senior management by evaluating, analyzing, and reporting appropriate data points,
(b.) guide financial decisions by applying company policies and procedures to current economic landscape
(c.) Develop, implement, and maintain financial controls and guidelines
(d.) Achieve budgeting goals with proper scheduling, analysis, and corrective action
(e.) Help develop and support short and long-term operational strategies.
This position will have both quarterly and annual reviews with opportunities for growth and development.
- Manage and monitor all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements as well as the requirements of private contributions, loans, and government contracts.
- Advise the CEO (and other members of the Leadership Team) on strategic business decisions to include financial analysis and evaluation.
- Maintain internal control safeguards for the receipt of revenue, costs and both team and organizational budgets and actual expenditures.
- Establish financial and operating benchmarks, budgets, program monitoring, and reporting standards on a bi-weekly, monthly, and annual basis.
- Implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across all programs, upholding federal, state, and local legal standards by remaining knowledgeable about existing, new, and future legislation.
- Drive development, implementation, and continuous improvement of financial processes, procedures, and tools by challenging basic assumptions underlying each department’s operation.
- Ensure the organization is compliant with all federal, state, local and company business requirements.
- Develop and enforce internal controls to maximize protection of company assets, policies, procedures, and workflow.
- Support other strategic roles at Land-Grant (reporting/analysis/risk) to include: Brewing Operations, Taproom and Beer Garden and Sales/Marketing departments. This could include cost analysis & evaluations, production efficiencies, sales analysis, planning & forecasting, customer evaluations, etc.
- Working Cross Functionally across all business units to ensure business is operating within the financial constraints & targets set forth and making sure each unit is on track.
- Working closely with outside parties to ensure business maintains compliance and on target with outside parties such as (bank,accounting firm, legal, etc).
- Reporting & Management of all financial statements (Cash Flow, Balance Sheet, Profit & Loss).
- As Land-Grant’s business objectives and strategies evolve, the duties and responsibilities within this role may expand based on the individual skill set of this person or Land-Grant’s needs.
- Analytical – Analyzing information and using logic to make recommendations and decisions about work-related issues and problems.
- Change Leadership – Manages, leads, and enables the process of change and transition while helping others to adapt to new processes and procedures. LG is entrepreneurial-minded, willing and open to looking for the next great idea.
- Development – Willingness to delegate responsibility, work with others, and coach to develop their capabilities through feedback, instruction, and encouragement to ensure responsibility, accountability, and promote organizational efficiency.
- Empowering Others – Conveying confidence in employees’ ability to be successful, especially with new and challenging tasks; allowing employees freedom to decide how they will accomplish their goals and resolve issues.
- Ethics & Integrity – Earns others’ trust and respect through consistent honesty and professionalism in all interactions.
- Leadership – A willingness to lead, take charge, and offer opinions and direction on day-to-day issues and long-term planning.
- Organizational Awareness & Political Savvy – Uses knowledge of the workings, structure and culture of the organization and political climate to solve problems and accomplish goals.
- Social Orientation – A preference of working with others (employees and customers), speaking clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrating strong presentation skills and ability to direct productive meetings. Always sees people first – understands and lives this dynamic.
Controller Position Details
This is a full-time position, with the following benefits:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Performance-based incentive plan
- IRA Match
- Paid training and development
- Paid time off
- Land-Grant discounts (including free beer)
Interested in this role, but not sure if you’ve got the experience? We’re also hiring an ACCOUNTING MANAGER. View that role and apply here.
About Land-Grant Brewing Company
At Land-Grant, we welcome people (and dogs) from all walks of life. Anyone, regardless of their race, creed, nation of origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, veteran status, marital status, or age has a home here. Our “All Welcome” mantra means that love, progress, and acceptance will always have a seat at our bar.
Land-Grant Brewing Company Core Values
- Operate with Integrity – be ethical, honest and respectful – always thinking about the well-being, safety, and satisfaction of both our employees and our customers.
- Perform with Pride – take ownership and accountability for the quality of our work, our products and our experiences with consummate attention to the details.
- Cultivate the Community – be an inclusive, welcoming workplace, business and brand that invests in our partners, relationships and neighbors to strengthen connections.
- Foster Creativity & Fun – center all efforts (design, brewing, experiences) around innovation, originality and enjoyment for our customer and each other.
- Pursue with Passion – align individual skills and passions with the Land-Grant brand, while engaging with a team-first mentality to collectively achieve something greater than ourselves.