The current home of Land-Grant brewing Company is a former Elevator factory located at 424 W. Town Street in the historic Franklinton neighborhood of Columbus. Built in 1920 as the home to the Capital Lift and Manufacturing Company the building has seen it’s share of transformation in Franklinton from its post at the corner of Town and Lucas. An addition to the building in the 70’s added an office space (and a whole lot of faux wood paneling) to the front of the facility. Beyond elevators, Capital began building track systems for moving giant reams of paper around large-scale printing facilities, and the building remained an active manufacturing facility into the 90’s.
Led by the mighty Mode Architects and Compton Construction, our brewery renovation began in March of 2014, and involved a full overhaul of the manufacturing facility for our production brewery, and a renovation of the offices to house our taproom. Clearing out nearly 100 years of manufacturing and office ephemera and detritus was no small task, and the demo portion of the build was significant. Once demo was complete, we brought in all new plumbing, electrical and HVAC and poured 5″ slab floor over the entire production facility.
Up front, we gutted the 70’s-chic office space, revealing it’s industrial bones, concrete slab floors, and –most incredibly– the original brick facade with completely intact windows. We painted the old beige stucco on the exterior, and covered the front of the building in barnwood that we reclaimed from an old barn near Marion. The photos below tell a better story than words ever could.