Jobs at Land-Grant / Quality Manager
The Quality Manager is responsible for all daily duties relating to the quality program at Land-Grant Brewing, including duties in the areas of packaging, cellaring, laboratory, and sensory, adhering all Land-Grant standard operating procedures and regulatory requirements and best practices. The Quality Manager will oversee the Quality Management System and provide direction and supervision that builds and sustains a first-class quality culture to all aspects of brewery operations.
They should be a quality champion, ensuring that quality is a priority in all departments across the brewery. This includes providing weekly sensory program reports, packaging testing, microbiological screening, fermentation tracking, chemistry, etc.
The Quality Manager will need to be functional in analytical and microbiological testing, and will be responsible for all lab inventory, ordering, and disposal.
Reports to the Director of Operations.
- Quality Assurance
- Oversees, develops, and manages the Quality Management System.
- Establishes & tracks Key Performance & Quality Indicators to provide feedback processes that assures our beer meets quality standards. Proactively develop solutions to issues affecting product quality and consistency.
- Set/Review/Standardize/Maintain quality policies (in an electronic Quality Manual system).
- Set quality goals, conduct SOP audits, and write process improvement reports.
- Audit existing and creates new SOPs to elevate process control and minimize variability from operator to operator and assure adherence to those standards is maintained.
- Consults regularly with & supports the beer production & packaging departments to promote quality.
- Champion continuous improvement efforts and supports process improvement initiatives across all departments. Successfully build rapport, respect and camaraderie within the Production team, Taproom team, Management, and interdepartmentally throughout the company to develop and promote internal customer satisfaction.
- Provide risk analysis on new products and develop target KPI’s.
- Oversees Laboratory; ensures area is clean, organized and maintains equipment in proper working order.
- Support environmental initiatives through departmental activities such as ensuring minimal process waste, responsibly routing waste and recyclables, minimizing water and energy consumption and striving for a “greener” business.
- Conduct Forced Fermentations on wort samples.
- Takes sterile microbiological samples from a variety of places.
- Performs cell counts alongside of viability or vitality testing.
- Monitors fermentations.
- Leads sensory panel for true to brand.
- Using aseptic technique plate microbiological samples
- Performs microbiological stability testing on a variety of media using aseptic technique.
- Performs can seam checks
- Provides assurance that raw materials are validated to standards and meet requirements.
- Assist to identify non-conforming and out of spec issues. Alert staff as required of quality issues.
- Diacetyl testing
- Organize a micro testing program and sample plan.
- Investigate and respond to consumer complaints.
- Sensory Program (Product Sampling)
- Oversees, develops, and manages Sensory Tasting Program:
- Alerts sensory panelists at least one day in advance of upcoming panels.
- Sets up and cleans sensory panel stations (wash glassware, recycle cans, prep samples, etc)
- Records and analyzes Sensory program results.
- Prepare and assist in the evaluation of beer samples according to desired specifications. This will at times include sending samples to external third parties for evaluation.
- Organize and execute sensory training for:
- Descriptive analysis
- True to Brand
- Off flavors
- Additional sensory tests
- Generate sensory reports for Director of Operations and Quality Committee.
- Management + Communication
- Reports directly to the Operations Director
- Exhibit adherence to all Safety and Food Safety Requirements.
- Always be mindful of and adhere to GMP’s, Quality and Food Safety requirements.
- Strive for work to be completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures and guidelines.
- Handles small projects for Director of Operations and Brewery Production Manager as they arise, including, but not limited to: trial batch testing, sample mailing, sensory-related sampling and testing, short-term experiment design, setup and data collection/analysis, etc.
Program and testing and job descriptions will evolve with new implementations
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Microbiology, Food Science, or other related science field preferred.
- Minimum four years of QA/QC experience, preferably in a production brewery (or an industry regulated by the FDA).
- Prior experience with GMP/GLP, HACCP, ISO 9001, Safe Laboratory Operations, and/or a Brewing education is preferred.
- Working knowledge of brewing and packaging processes is preferred.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of recipes, processes, procedures, and other proprietary information.
- Ability to safely handle and work with reagents and other potentially hazardous chemicals.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications specifically Excel (VBA coding is a huge plus) and/or Google Drive Suite.
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Able to discuss technical solutions to complex problems.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team to accomplish lab and production goals.
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and a high level of professionalism.
- Ability to perform under pressure and prioritize multiple demands.
- Flavor panel experience with formalized training preferred.
- Prior experience with GMP’s or HACCP’s, Advanced degrees and/or a Brewing education will be considered a plus.
- Microbiological Quality Assurance (QA) / Quality Control (QC)
- Chemical Analytics
- Yeast Management
- Fermentation Management
- Sensory Analysis
- Packaging Quality
- Raw Materials Quality
- Ability to stand for long periods of time and do physically demanding work is required.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. is required.
- Willingness to work in an environment with high noise levels is required.
- Alcohol Responsibility – The candidate must fully understand that they are a representative of not only the company, but of the alcohol beverage industry. They are to conduct themselves within the limits of the law and with concern to the education of responsible consumption at all times. This includes working hours, trade shows, festivals and while entertaining in the name of the company or its affiliates. Any poor reflection or legal matters that may arise due to poor judgment may be dealt with by means of disciplinary action up to and including termination.
- The Quality Manager will primarily perform work duties in lab environments in the production and warehouse facilities. While performing the duties of the job, the Quality Technician is regularly exposed to a damp, wet environment with hot liquids, airborne particles, chemicals and moving machinery. There can be loud noise levels, and protective eyewear is required on the production floor at all times.
This is a full-time position, with expected days of work being Monday through Friday, though evening and weekend work may be required as demanded by job duties and production schedule.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical job functions, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job duties.
Please fill out the form below to apply for this position.